In 1941 Monsignor James Rohan established Saint Jerome Catholic Parish in El Cerrito, CA. Under his leadership, the parish quickly grew and through its prosperity the parish approved property for the founding of St Jerome Catholic School.
On August 21, 1955, Monsignor Rohan welcomed five sisters of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary to Saint Jerome Catholic School and to the parish.
The school opened its doors in September 1955 with the first students filling grades one through four with a total enrollment of 160 students. A new grade was added each year until September 1959 when the school enrolled grades one through eight, and in 1982 a kindergarten was added. In 1985, an Extended Day Care Program was established, Red Balloon, to meet the increasing needs of working parents of the school’s community.
Today St. Jerome Catholic School is home to nearly two hundred students and families. Many families are centrally located in neighborhoods within El Cerrito, Richmond, Kensington and Berkeley. However we also have families coming to us from many parts of the Bay Area including Oakland, Hayward, El Sobrante, Pinole, Vallejo, Antioch to name a few. We hope that you will come visit us to get a sense of our community and dedication to the success of our students.