…..from Deacon Ben….
Dear Sisters & Brothers in Christ,
Want to add something amazing to your “bucket list”? How would you like do the pilgrimage that provided the impetus for the development of the first Cursillo weekends (it’s also where we got the term “Ultreya”)? It’s called the Camino de Santiago (The Way of St. James) – a 490 mile walk or bicycle ride over 15 – 35 days from St. Jean de Pied de Port on the French side of the Pyrenees across the top of Spain to the tomb of St. James in Santiago de Compostela in northwest Spain. It is one of the most popular pilgrimages in the world, and a movie, “The Way”, starring Martin Sheen was made about it last year (you can still rent it at Redbox). Deacon Harry Clyde from Assumption Church in San Leandro did this walk earlier this year and plans to do it again. He will give a two-hour presentation about his experiences this Sunday, November 24, 2013 in the parish school hall from 2 – 4 PM. The school’s address is 1851 – 136th Avenue, San Leandro, CA 94578. All are welcome to attend. Here are some informative links:
1) The Way of St. James: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Way_of_St._James
2) American Pilgrims on the Camino: http://www.americanpilgrims.com/about/american_pilgrims.html
3) Bicycling the Camino: http://www.experienceplus.com/tours/tours.html?tid=493
4) Movie: “The Way”: http://www.redbox.com/movies/the-way
Here are links for today’s Mass on Thursday, November 21, 2013: Memorial of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary
1. Readings: http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/112113.cfm (from the U.S. Catholic Conference of Catholic Bishops website)
2. Video reflection: click on “Daily Reflections – Video” shown below the calendar on the above link. Then click on the correct date.
3. Daily meditation: http://www.rc.net/wcc/readings/nov21.htm (from the Daily Scripture Readings & Meditations website)
4. Background on the Presentation of Mary: http://catholicism.about.com/od/holydaysandholidays/p/Presentation-Of-Mary.htm (from About.com articles on Caholicism) and http://www.americancatholic.org/features/saints/saint.aspx?id=1206 (from the American Catholic website)
“Make a friend. Be a friend. Bring your friend to Christ.”
Deacon Ben Agustin … Email: email@example.com …. Cell: (510) 388-1551